Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - , 4 comments

Meet my Neighbor, Pepé

I'm not sure if I've mentioned that I live steps away from a creek that they insist upon calling a river around here. (Note to self: Must research the geological definitions of creeks vs. rivers.)  An evening last week, I heard something rustling near the bank. At first, I thought that it might be a dog or cat. There's a walking path along the river for several miles, and people often walk their animals along it.

So, I watched, and I waited. And what to my wondering eyes should appear? A cute little skunk with the white line up his back and everything doing some evening foraging. I tried to capture a picture of him, but by then his little nose was firmly investigating the base of the grasses. Then, this evening, what luck I had. After a few unimpressive shots of his posterior, I was able to get around to line up my shot, and there he was.



And yes, I was at a "safe" distance.  (That's why it's a tad bit blurry. I had to zoom in a bit.)  In this case "safe" is defined as not making him nervous in any way. I never noticed any change in his activity that would make me thing that he was agitated.  Of course, I'm calling it a "he" when I have not the slightest clue ... And I have no intention of getting close enough to find out.

I'm tickled ... just as long as I'm up here, and he stays down there.  I'm happy to appreciate him from a far. ;)

4 comments:

Whoa, best not leave any patio doors open this summer!

Oh--don't worry about not knowing gender. As Pepe says, "A colleague of mine once noted, there is very little difference between men and women. But, VIVE LE DIFFERENCE!!"

Actually, in all the time I've lived there, I've only detected a faint odor one time, and that was some months ago. I'm going to try to keep the door open (now that I'm in a place where I can do that). What can I say? I'm a rebel. ;)

That's pretty cool. I saw a raccoon the other morning when I left for work. We had a family of them several years ago, but they were removed by Animal Control. I don't know where this one came from.

We also have bunnies and ground birds in the vegetation behind the condo.

I used to love to watch the bunnies during twilight hours.

Post a Comment