Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday, July 06, 2012 - , 8 comments

A Friendly Five on Friday

I can't believe that it's only been a week since a wild fire consumed one of the loveliest valleys near my town. We lost at least 66 homes, including the one that I stayed in for the first three weeks that I lived here.  I must say that I am amazed, simply amazed on how this community pulled together to help their neighbors.

This week my Five on Friday is dedicated to this community and our beautiful future despite devastating losses.

If you want to join in the fun, My friend Travis over at Trav's Thoughts hosts this fun meme. It's fun and easy to play. Head over there and see what it's all about and play along!

I looked outside when I first woke up, and this is the first song that came into my head.

Oh What a Beautiful Morning!


Next, comes the part that makes me think of all the people that want to help their neighbors.

You've Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman


That's What Friends Are for  - Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Elton John, Stevie Wonder


He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies


And finally, a song that I always find uplifting about moving forward...

Little Wonders - Rob Thomas


I'll finish up with a Walt Disney quote that is used at the end of the film Meet the Robinsons. Maybe it's the music (the Rob Thomas song above) or something else, but I find it inspiring, especially during times like these.
"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors and doing new things, because we're curious ... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Excellent selections for your theme, Cherie!

I'm glad the Spirit of Kindness lives in your community, too. FEMA was shocked that they only had to provide 2K homes during our flood last year---they'd never seen a community disaster where most of the victims were taken in by neighbors and family.

Nice group this week. Love That's What Friends Are For

It is wonderful. The people of our church were kind of disappointed. We wanted to do something, but everything was already being handled. We decided to focus on long term care and rebuilding efforts. :)

Nothing like a wildfire to make a person happy to greet a new day.

Gordon MacRae...sigh...he's my favorite this week.

I hadn't heard that one in a while, but I love it. :)

I think people really do come together when faced with adversity. We might have something special if we could figure out how to come together every day.

That would be special. I know that people actually try to do that all the time. It's just that the day-to-day stuff doesn't make the papers. That, and it's so over shadowed by the hateful things that people do everyday.

Post a Comment