Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - , 6 comments

Happy Blogoversary

I can hardly believe that I started this blog one year ago today.  Things have changed so much in my life since then.  I created this as a place for my fictional writings, but as I got to meet so many different people while working on writing challenges, I decided to expand a bit.

The sad thing, right now, is that I haven’t had very much time to blog in the last several weeks.  The fact that I began Seminary is a contributing factor, but not in the way that you might think.  Basically, it comes down to the fact that I don’t have as powerful internet connection as I used to, so everything takes three times longer than it used to.  Once I’ve done all my work on my online course, there isn’t a lot of time for the blog.  I’ll just have to play it by ear.

But today is a special occasion, so I will illustrate my adventures of the last month with you. :)

On the way to Washington D.C., I spent about five days with my mom in Tennessee.  I mentioned that staying at her place was almost like being at a resort.  Here’s some of the reasons why …

The “Veranda”

IMG_1797

The  “Grounds”

IMG_1789

The “Gardens” IMG_1796 

A close-up of one of the flowers
IMG_1795

And the view from the Veranda
IMG_1801

It was a wonderful time, and too soon, I was on my way to D.C.  It took me a couple of weeks to get a feel for the place, but I’m settling in.  And it’s even starting to feel like home.

This must be one of my favorite monuments that I’ve seen in D.C.  It is the World War II Memorial.  I’ve never seen pictures of it at night, and this hardly does it justice.  It is beautiful and mesmerizing.

IMG_1819

The Korean memorial is really even more incredible, especially at night.  I’m going to go back to try to get some photos of that.

I also celebrated my birthday since I’ve been here.  I am the ripe old age of 41.  Though it’s easily the average age in all of my classes, it is decidedly older than most of my dorm-mates.

I decided not to make a big deal about it, but somehow I let it slip to my roommate when I was explaining why my mother sent me a box.  She told her friend, and they insisted on taking me to a French bakery that I found up the road in Potomac, MD.  A good time was had by all, as you can see.

Ji-Yeon insisted on party hats.  I made them go first. ;)

IMG_1826

But I relented.  :)
IMG_1828

While I’ve been here, I’ve been touring different churches each Sunday.  So far I’ve been to four.  This past week was the National Cathedral.  It really is an amazing piece of architecture.  But I really think that it looks remarkably like Norte Dame in Paris.  What do you think?

Notre Dame …

IMG_0776
National Cathedral …
IMG_1845
Notre Dame (a little burry)…
IMG_0780
National Cathedral …
IMG_1834
See what I mean? I still think that the National Cathedral is amazing.  I’m just sayin’. ;)

The detail of the carvings in this place defy description.  This is the pulpit.

IMG_1837

I’ll have to come here again to do a more complete tour of the place.  It’s huge.  I’m not sure where I’m going this weekend.  I did here something about services by Franciscan monks done in Spanish.  That ought to be interesting.

So now we’re all caught up.   Happy Blogoversary to me. :)

6 comments:

Happy Blogoversary! I am so glad you started blogging. You have enriched my life!

Well happy late birthday and Happy Blogoversary. I wish you would have told me about your birthday. But you can email me the date so I don't have to do a belated next year :) Love the pictures. Your mom's house is just awesome and your new friends look friendly and nice as well. Sounds like your really settling in which is great news. I've heard that the Koren Memorial is wonderful as well. Love the churches. Excellent photos. Again Happy belated birthday and congrats on your blog. I'm so glad you have come into my life as a great friend. MWAHA. Spike

Quilly: I feel exactly the same way about you!

Spike: I love having you as my friend too. :)

Hi Cherie, I came from Thom's blog to wish you a Happy Blogoversary and Happy Belated Birthday! Wishing you a lot of joy & blessings, and wonderful moments to share with us. Have a wonderful week :)

Roshidah: Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

Happy Belated Birthday!
and happy 1 year of blogging

I love all your photos
i'm so glad you updated, been thinking about you a lot

Post a Comment