Saturday, October 6, 2012

Where Are You on 'The Political Compass'?

Several years ago I did this survey with some friends who visit this blog, but considering this blog's new focus, I think it's worth another look.

The Political Compass gauges not only the "Left" and "Right" leanings on an economic scale, but also on the level of government involvement, which the site refers to as a social scale. Overall, I think that the site does a good job of objectively describing the different locations on the grid from a political science perspective.


It also plots the location of well known political/economic figures from the 20th Century, which is great to put the grid into context. In addition, it plots the positions of world leaders.

Here, I think that website demonstrates a slight skew to the left, meaning that some of the current figures appear further right than you might expect. However, the site makes the determination based on their actions rather than their stated positions. When thinking of politicians, this is reasonable, but it doesn't necessarily take their working environment into account.

So, where are you on The Political Compass? Click Here to take the test. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell you that my most recent score was a -1.25 Economic/-4.75 Social. That will make a lot more sense to you once you take the test and read the analysis.

Let us know how you scored and what you think of the test.

6 comments:

I've always considered myself a moderate liberal, but I'm not certain that my position on the chart bears that out...-4.50 for economic and -6.41 for social.

But I have a little bit of trouble with the responses. There were times when my answer to the propositions would have been in between agree and disagree. Given no option for middle ground, I had to select agree or disagree as the lesser of inaccurate responses.

So I think my social result is more extreme that my actual actions would indicate.

Interesting test though.

Travis: Yeah, on some of the questions, I would have liked to answer, "It depends, but in general." So, I went with the "in general" part. I like the back up info the site provides and their reasoning listed in their FAQs. But, I also liked how a person can compare themselves in a general way with recent historical figures and current leaders.

Apparently the Daili Lama,Nelson Mandela,and I do have enough common ground to be able to carry on a great conversation. Mind blown.

Joy: How cool is that? :)

I thought the questions were thoughtful, and this was an interesting test. Some questions I immediately answered; others I wanted to add a comment or say "yes, but...."

Marla: I had several like that too, or sometimes it was, "It depends..." Thanks for playing. :)

Post a Comment