Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday, April 22, 2013 - ,,, 4 comments

Oblivion Review

Thus far there haven't been too many movies that have interested me this year. I really got spoiled last year. I probably wouldn't have even considered going to see Oblivion last year.

The basic premise is that Tom Cruise is a maintenance man on a post apocalyptic, effectively abandoned, Earth. We were attacked by aliens. We won the war, but the Earth was made uninhabitable in the process. Cruise maintains the surveillance drones that keeps track of what's going on. His vehicle is slick and cool. He lives in the clouds. Pretty, but the trailers left me a little, Meh.

However, I've been suffering through movie theater withdrawal, so I decided to give it a try.
I was pleasantly surprised. It delivers as a "Tom Cruise Action Adventure" flick. Spectacular? No, but a solid effort. There are lots of intriguing twists and turns, so I'm not going to get into it too much here. But, I can tell you that it's more than just pretty.

It prompts some interesting questions. Here's one that won't give up too much away. We've considered what would happen if an asteroid hit the earth in movies like Armageddon and even the asteroid that passed by and meteorite that hit the Earth recently. But what if a large meteor hit and altered the orbit of the moon around the Earth? How would it affect life on Earth? There are several others that also captured my attention.

What I can tell you is that I had a good time. I was invested in the characters enough to be a bit teary eyed at the end. I left it intrigued about our expectations with extra-terrestrial life forms, about how we know what we know, about trust, loyalty, and skepticism. A movie that can make me think without making me feel like I've been preached to is one that I think is worth seeing.

I would give this 3-1/2 stars out of 5. Life altering perfection? No, but, like I said, a solid effort.

4 comments:

Starts off perfectly, but soon dissolves into sci-fi convention, after another. Nice review Cherie.

dtmmr: Yes, I found myself making comparisons and drawing parallels with other works that did it better like The Matrix, some of the later Dune books, and Independence Day. Still I had a fun time at the movies, which is what I was looking for. Thanks for stopping by! :)

The only thing I found interesting about this movie was the cool effect of having a broken moon in the sky. Not interesting enough to see the flick though. I'm just not a Cruise fan and typically avoid anything he appears in.

Travis: The broken moon thing was cool. In a way, I thought that the concept was a cross between Independence Day and The Matrix. My only excuse was that I was going through cinema withdrawal. lol I did see Iron Man 3 yesterday. Another movie I didn't intend to see, but in a couple of weeks the next Star Trek movie, which I have every intention of seeing! :D

Post a Comment