Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday, October 07, 2013 - 4 comments

Signed Up for NaNoWriMo 2013

Several weeks ago, I had an idea for a book. A thought occurred. I could use it for National Novel Writer's Month (NaNoWriMo)!  You have the month of November to write a work of at least 50,000 words. Definitely going for quantity over quality, but it gets the words out.

Instead of obsessing about plot, style, spelling, or grammar, you produce text, a lot of text. I've wanted to try this before, but I've either been in the midst of a huge writing project already or some other project. The timing wasn't right, but this may be the time.  Tonight's The Good Wife, reminded me of basic premise of my book.

I was inspired.  I signed up.


We'll see how it goes.  We'll see if I remember in just a little less than a month from now. I'll keep you posted ... if I remember to do it at all. 

Wondering about the premise?  I'd like to write about some innocent people who get caught up in the net of government surveillance.  I decided that part of the reason that people followed Snowden rather than being outraged by what his leaks revealed  is that people like a story and are bored by statistics.

Perhaps, compelling stories will make people care more.  That is a story arc that I see developing in The Good Wife.  I'm pleased to see it.  I hope that we see a lot more.

P.S. It bugs me that I like the show despite how much the title gets on my nerves. And, it really gets on my nerves.

4 comments:

Good for you. I like the premise.

Travis: I know you're shocked, right? ;)

Woo hoo! I'm also NaNoWriMo-ing. It's become the cornerstone of my writing-output year.

Julia: Sweet! There are even other people in my town doing this. I've seen meet ups theoretically set up for other kinds of things, but no one ever participated in them. But, they're even having a kick off Write In. They're meeting at a local diner, at 11:30 pm on Halloween. People can even dress up if we want. I decided to give it a try. Good luck to us! :)

Post a Comment