1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014- selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base.
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
My word would be #hashtag. I never understood "tagging" in the first place. I don't have a problem with texting shorthand, as long as I can figure out what's being said (though I rarely use it except for a variant of "lol", and that was from being on line). Don't particularly appreciate "text-speak," but speaking in "hashtag-speak" is way over the line.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
Getting the oil changed on my car. Not glamorous, but important with the "polar-vortex" and all. A little west of the worst of it, but still. (btw, we had several weeks of below zero weather here in Dec, so we have had our fair share.)
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
Monday night for supper. It was cream of chicken from a can. I usually add some rice and extra chicken. Turns it into a luscious concoction. :)
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
Snow job? But, I'm not sure that I'm not snowing myself. People around here are skiers, and they would love to be "snowed-in," as long as they could tunnel their way to the slopes.
5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
I don't know about "funniest" but the first thing that came to mind was Beverley Hills Cop. I'm remembering the opening sequence when Eddie Murphy is holding on for dear life from the back of a semi-trailer as a criminal is trying to use the truck as a get-away car. I laughed so hard through that entire sequence I couldn't breathe. Score!
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
Yes and No. I'm not always dropping or breaking things, but I have to say that my dad would tease me that we should tie balloons onto my toes. I was forever tripping, stubbing my toes, or otherwise running my feet into things, like coffee table legs. I don't do that so often, but when I do ... #&%$*#!
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
I like Elvis' music but wouldn't consider myself a rapid fan. "Teddy Bear" is probably my favorite song. The lyrics are so sweet. I might be too syrupy if it weren't sung by such a masculine man. Most of his songs are great to dance to, and his ballads are soulful.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Yes, my Christmas tree is still up. I love the soft glow that the tree has. Winter seems so gloomy after the Christmas lights go off for the season. I can't bear to have it end just yet.