Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - , 2 comments

Hodgepodge

Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond hosts this Wednesday meme that have some interesting questions. Do you want to play?


1. Do you have an interest in learning about your family's heritage? Why or why not? If you know a little bit about your roots, share an interesting piece of trivia or a fun fact about someone who goes way back on your family tree.

I have a great interest in history, so learning about my family's heritage is natural for me. An interesting tidbit is that the Russian side of my family came to the United States because they were on the wrong side of the Russian Revolution. Apparently, one of my great grandfathers was a Count. My uncle is the last of the line, to put it in Downton Abbey parlance. ;)

2. Branch Rickey, the baseball exec credited with signing Jackie Robinson, is quoted as saying-
"Luck is the residue of design."
Agree or disagree? Why?

I agree, provisionally. I think that's helpful if you're on the lookout for luck. How are you ever going to see that stray dollar on the ground if you're not looking for it? How are you going to jump on the opportunity at work if you're not aware of what's going on? On the other hand, I've seen people who miss getting hit by a car or bus by a millimeter or getting under cover right before a downpour of rain. That's lucky too, but it's not by design. But yes, how lucky is that I happen to have an umbrella...because I always keep one in my purse. ;)

3. In the town where you currently reside, what's your favorite green space?

I'm very lucky to live in a place that has lots of green spaces. I even live next to something that is described as a "greenway" next to a small river. (Side note: I learned that there is no minimum size for a river, so even though I would classify it as a "creek," I live next to a "river." lol)  My favorite green space in town that would be a place called the Lower Ross Park. In the growing months of the year, it's very green, and there are lovely old trees. Kids play little league, and bands play in the band shell. It's a modest space, but all summer long there always seems to be something going on.

4. Who is your favorite comedian?

Bill Cosby.  That man would have me laughing so hard that I couldn't make any noise, and tears would be streaming down my face. That's the kind of laughter that makes your cheeks cramp up because you're smiling so hard. It sounds painful, but I guess this is one of those times that it hurts so good. ;)

5. March is National Nutrition Month, and almost everyone needs to improve their diet in some way. What about you? How can you improve your nutrition on a daily basis? Will you try?

The best way that I can improve my nutrition on a daily basis is to get a better handle on stress. When I get too stressed and emotionally tired, I'm more likely to make unwise decisions. (One of those is sitting in my freezer right now.)

6. Which of these green expressions have you 'experienced' in recent weeks -green with envy, green thumb, green around the gills, or give the green light? Explain.

I suppose it would be " green around the gills." I was a little under the weather a couple of weeks ago. (That didn't exactly help me make wise nutritional choices either. I know, always an excuse. lol)

7. Where is one place you don't mind waiting?

For me that would be Disney World, up to a point. In the staging areas they often have great entertainment. My favorite is probably Star Tours, a Star Wars simulation ride . They start off with R2D2 and C3PO having a little debate and talking with us. Then, there's a little maintenance droid who suddenly seems to become self aware and starts interacting with people waiting in line. I almost hated to move along. They were so much fun. It's been awhile since I've been to Disney World. I hope they're still there.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Two random thoughts really. One is that I am so psyched to be blogging regularly again. I am beyond amazed at how much easier it is to blog when I'm tired and stressed (see item about healthy eating above) with voice recognition software. It means I can express myself without having to sit in front of a computer. I have never felt comfortable when trying to work on a laptop computer in the living room or something. I find it so awkward. So, if  I couldn't bear to sit in a desk chair, blogging went to the wayside. This way I can sit and relax and rant to my heart's content. :)

The second thing is that on that desktop computer, that I haven't wanted to sit in front of when work has been overwhelming with stress, wouldn't boot back up after the power went out. Apparently, my "power supply" went out. I didn't even know what a power supply was. It's the part that the big power plug that plugs into the back of a desktop computer. I discovered there some kind of battery in there, and if it dies, and you lose power, your computer won't start again. So, over at a period of days I was able to to research it, take it out, and put a new one in. Today the part that I ordered arrived , and I installed it in less then 20 minutes! So psyched ... again!

2 comments:

Wow, I'm impressed with your computer repair. I wouldn't have a clue : ) My hubs was scrounging in the freezer for dessert last night, and I told him he could have an orange.Ha! He can eat a banana split at 9 PM no problem, but I can't so I just don't buy that sort of thing.

Joyce: Ha! on hubs. Luckily, my moment of weakness was in the store. I'm happy to report that the particular item is still in my freezer ... for now. ;)

Post a Comment