Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 6 comments

Day 52 - Second Draft Done!

Much much longer than I thought it would be, but I've finished the second draft of my book! And since I write in long-hand, this includes transcribing it all to my computer file. Whew! That reminds me. I better save a copy to a disk! It would be just like fate to have my computer crash before I have a chance to print it. *pause* Okay, I feel better about that now.

You may be wondering what the whole "Day 52" thing is about. It's just a tracking thing that I started to try to keep me consistant with working on this. I had read a book that if one followed their method, one could have a book ready to submit to publishers or agents in 60 days. I don't know if it's going to work out exactly that way, but I can tell you that the consistancy thing didn't work. It's taken me over a year to get to 52 days of working on the book. LOL But I have to admit that it spurred me on when otherwise I might have quit.

And now, I'm all psyched to start the third draft. It's kind of like a filling in the blanks kind of thing for me. The first draft was getting the plot down as fast as I could. I skipped anything that might slow me down. The second draft was about putting in that stuff. The third draft is more about getting into the background and the mindset of the characters. What is their motivation and so forth. And maybe I'll add some of that literary stuff like imagery and the like.

Think I can do it in eight days? No, me neither.

6 comments:

Yay! Congratulations. I only ever got through a second draft on a book once and I wrote the first out longhand too... It was years ago. I bet I could do better now. I don't think I could do it in 52 days though.

I'm excited for you and of course very proud of you, as I always am :)

Dianne- I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to respond. You're so good about that kind of thing.

Of course, I've worked on it not at all since I posted this. LOL I have been working on my PoW, but I'm not sure that it'll be ready by Monday. :)

But thank you for your support. It means so much to me that I have you as my on-line friend.

Post a Comment