Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 7 comments

My Summer "Vacation"?

I'm a little later than expected on my post for part 2 of my 3 part series of what's been going on in my life this summer. It is designed as a lure to draw my missing bloggy friends back to the "interwebs." Do I think that I have that kind of readership power that people will come back just because I ask? Certainly not. I'm just putting that cyber energy out into the universe, and it's working even better than I expected with another of my bff's, the beautiful and talented Dianne, coming back onto the scene. I obviously don't know my own strength. lol

So, what have I been doing that has me concerned that I only have 3 1/2 weeks left? I've been doing background research for my thesis. If I were waiting for Christmas, I would think that 3 1/2 weeks was an age, but now, I'm concerned that it will be here before I know it.

Of course, "doing background research" sounds very academic, but all it really is is reading a bunch of books so that I have an idea of what's out there. I've been really lucky because the local college libraries has 1/2 of the books on my reading list, so I've been able to read them for free.

You may be wondering what my topic is, and that's a good question. I've been trying to figure out a way to express it succinctly. Let's give it a shot ... Effectively Expressing the Christian Message to a Secular Humanist Society in a Postmodern World. It's a little more narrow than that, but it's a good start. It's about meeting people where they are, rather than trying to force them to change everything about how they see the world and what makes sense to them.

It might interest you to know that it is the conversations that I've had with many people in cyber-space that inspired me in my topic choice. These would include people both inside the church, like Dr. John, and many outside the church, who have been hurt many times by people claiming to speak for the church.

My summer reading list has been very interesting and intriguing including topics like Shamanism and the scientific explosion during the Romantic Age (late 18th/early 19th centuries). It ranges from devout Christian authors that were murdered by the Nazis to the most ardent atheists and everything in between. I'm so excited to work on this paper!

But the work on the thesis and the church have not even been the most time consuming things this summer. To find out about that, tune in tomorrow. I wonder who else will turn up by then. :)

7 comments:

I wondered where you were yesterday Larisa. As i started reading this I thought I wonder what her thesis is going to about and you didn't disappoint. It sounds to me like you have your work cut out for you with that topic, but there again, that's what doing a thesis is all about. I do hope that we can get excerpts or something after you have completed it and it is handed in. Spike, as you are well aware, has CRS many times and he doesn't remember if he has asked you this but after you get done with College what are you going to do? What are you going to apply your degree to and do with it? Okay I'm guessing that part 3 is going to involve mom. She's about the only one you haven't really talked about and I think you are saving the best for last :) We shall see how intuitive Spike is ::) MWAH xoxox

Spike: I would tell you what I'm going to do after school if only I knew. I actually started seeing some of the possibilities I didn't even know where out there when I started trying to get information about my thesis adviser. Though I do expect it will have something to do with getting people better acquainted with God. What I don't know is how that will manifest itself. How's that for a "non-answer"? LOL! Mwah! xxoo

Sounds like a great thesis.

Wow! We might want to read your paper when you're done. are you going to share?

Stacy: Thanks so much!

Quilly: I think that could be arranged. lol

You sure you're not going to run for political office? LOL

Spike: Shoot me if I ever suggest such a thing! LOLOL

Post a Comment