Saturday, December 31, 2011

Saturday, December 31, 2011 - ,, 11 comments

2011 Wrap Up

For the past several years, I've been doing this same meme to end one year and to begin a new. I like this one because it's not too long, but it's still a good review. Last year, I did it a few weeks late, so it didn't make it on the blog. However, I've found that considering these same questions each year helps me to better understand where I'm coming from and where I'm heading to. So, you get to go with me on my trip down memory lane.

1. What was the best thing that happened to you personally in 2011?
I had a few "bests" this year: a) Getting my Masters; b) Getting a job in "my field;" c) Being reunited with my stuff. It's not that I'm the most materialist person in the world (nor am I the least), but there's something to be said about sleeping in your own bed (or lying on your own couch). There's comfort level there that you can't get elsewhere, no matter how nice the surroundings are.

 2. What was the worst thing that happened to you personally in 2011?
Moving away from West Texas without any reasonable expectation of return. I realize that no one can tell what the future will bring. If someone would have told me this time last year that I'd be living in Idaho, I would have told them that they were crazy. It's just that I think it was the first time that I wasn't more  than ready to leave one place for the next. The only possible exception to that was when we moved from Germany. I really loved it there too. And it's not that I don't love Idaho and love where I'm working. I do love it, but still miss West Texas.
3. What was the best thing to happen to all of us in 2011?
Arab Spring. It's self-determination. It's the French Revolution of the Muslim world. Hopefully, it won't turn as radical as the French Revolution. But the fact that it is organic and not impossed is a wonderful thing.
4. What was the worst thing to happen to all of us in 2011?
The stupid political games in Washington. (And the 24 hour news cycle.) Do they have to make everything a crisis every time? They're idiots. At the moment, I'm not sure of whom I have a lower opinion, Republicans or Democrats. Last year, the lame-duck Democrats where winning in spades (in the low opinion poll), but this year it's pretty much neck and neck.

5. What was the best gift you received during the ’11 holidays?
The gift of peace and tranquility on Christmas Day. I had, what I consider, the best of both worlds. I had many invitations to Christmas festivities, so I felt wanted and appreciated. However, after all of the craziness of the last couple of weeks, I just wanted to go home and put my feet up. I did, and it was wonderful.
I'm an introverted person. That doesn't mean that I don't like people or that I'm shy. What it means is that being with a lot of people for long periods of time drains my energy, and I need recovery time, alone. I think that it was one of my happiest Christmases in recent memory. (Though the one the year before last at my mother's was pretty darn good.)
6. What was the best gift (most appropriate or best received) you gave during the ’11 holidays?
My step-father, Butch, is the winner in this category for the second year in a row. He's a retired mechanic (auto and aviation), and he loves NASCAR. There are some gloves that the pit-crews always wear, and he loves them. He also uses them all the time, so he always needs new ones. Well, I think that because I'm in Idaho, I was able to get some heavier weight ones that 1) will be more durable and 2) will be warmer during the winter. Even though it might not get as cold in Tennessee as it does in Idaho, it gets cold enough. They were a real surprise, and he was very pleased.

7. Do you have any regrets about what you did in 2011?
Not really. As always, not everything went exactly "as planned," but I can't think of a thing that I would have done differently under the same circumstances.
8. Do you have any regrets about what you didn’t do in 2011?
I wish that I could have seen more of the surrounding area around Washington D.C. before I had to leave. I wish that I could have made it up to NJ & NYC, but it really was a question of the limitations of time and space. I did come to be rather fond of Bethesda.

9. Resolutions for 2012? Now’s the time for them. 
I was looking at my resolutions from last year ...

Review Resolutions from 2011 
1. Definitely need to be bold and proactive about pursing employment, both while in school and after. 
I really tried to do this. Perhaps, I could have started looking a littler earlier, but I had to finish my thesis. I certainly didn't put it off until the last minute. Even though I was on the cusp of giving the job hunting a rest for a while, it was the last resume that I submitted that turned out to be the one.

2. Developing the closer relationship with God.
This is always a work in progress. As strange as it sounds, I both feel closer to God, and yet it seems like the same distance. What it doesn't feel is intimately close, like a best friend. I've been there before, and I want to get there again.

 3. Don’t procrastinate.  Figure out the difference between being efficient with my work and procrastinating. I learned with some pretty intense assignments that I can do good work when I give myself adequate time.  It doesn’t look like I’m going to be overloaded with work (except possibly towards the end of the semester).  If I’m smart about it, I should be able to do good work and avoid crisis.

It worked out pretty well, as far as the school load is concerned. That was until I realized that I had to turn in all my papers and take all my finals a week early. (And professors were adjusting the schedules.) However, having that final week to relax and my mom and step-dad to some special places around D.C. before graduation was nice.
 

I, also, think that I've improved with this over-all, but I admit that I'm still a down to the wire type girl. There's that fine line between pacing oneself and poor time management. I'm still working that out. ;)

Resolutions for 2012 -
Ah, this is the hard part. This past year one of the stars on my Blog Roll, Stacy @ The Cat's Meow, did an amazing thing. She made a detailed and ambitious list of goals. If she didn't achieve all of them, she made quite a few. She has inspired me not to be so vague.
  1. See a medical health professional some time this year. Let's just say that I haven't been to see anyone, besides the pharmacy dept at Wallgreens to have a flu shot, in some years. Maybe it's time.
  2. Spend less time on the computer. oooOOOooo ... this might be a tough one. But I've already stopped doing some online stuff, and that's helped. It'll give me more time to do things in the real world (and get to bed a little earlier). The problem is that it's part of my routine (and my desk chair is very comfortable). What I don't mean is that I'll stop blogging. This is an important creative and social outlet for me.
     
  3. Speaking of blogging. I'd like to average about 3 posts per week. There's still no "obligation." (See the badge in my sidebar.) However, I like there to be something regular. I don't feel the need to do it daily, but one thing that the NaBloPoMo taught me was that it doesn't have to be that hard.
  4. To get involved in some activity that's not church related. I have loved being immersed in everything at the church. I love the people. I love the things that we do, but I can't make "real" friendships there. I can't talk to them about my worries and concerns. I certainly can't talk about anyone who might be annoying me. I'm supposed to be there for them, but the way things stand now, I really don't have any friends. I need to expand my horizons.
  5. I still want to get closer in my relationship with God. Yes, this one's still on the vague side. It's also impossible to perfect, but it's a part of life's journey. I have a plan that's more specific, but that's gonna be my little secret. ;)
Gosh, the goals are always the hardest part, but in the end, they're the most rewarding ... as long as I actually do something to accomplish them.

A New Year. A blank slate. A chance to begin again. Who knows what this year will bring? What will you do to start?

11 comments:

Quite the thorough summary. I'm not much for that kind of thing, or for making resolutions. I know that 2012 promises to be about as busy as 2011, so I'll stay occupied and that's fine by me.

Hey...great look on the new template!

Travis: And this is a short one review meme! lol Well, I hope that busy for you means fun! And thanks on the template. You know, my fashion stays the same. My furniture doesn't get rearranged, but I like to get a fresh template with the new season. Go figure! lol

I am always in awe of those who can both plan and attempt self-improvement goals. Makes my resolution to Smile More seem puny, but at least it's something I have a chance to be successful at!

Joy: My goals are hardly earth shattering, while smiling more can change the world around you. It can change the world! Nothing puny about that, girl! :)

Beautiful review and preview, Cherie! Seems you've achieved a lot of last year's goals--no easy task to be sure. It's good you had the chance to recharge your batteries over Christmas. That is so important for introverts like us. Love the blog template and new profile pic, too. :)

Happy New Year to you!

Lisa: It's easy to make your goals when they're very general and no real measurement for success. lol

Happy New Year
I am always so proud of you and pleased for you
I think you're courageous and true to yourself
I admire all that you accomplish

I agree about Arab Spring
and I love the you suck/you suck more cartoon
priceless

Dianne: And I always appreciate your support. And yeah, the political parties are such an easy target.

Happy new year, Cherie. Hope it's a great one for you, filled with great friendships and new possibilities.

Thanks for the mention. :)

Enjoyed your look back and your look ahead.

Post a Comment