Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - , 23 comments

Hodgepodge

Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond hosts this meme that has some interesting questions each week. Do you want to play?

1. In what way are you your own worst enemy?
There are two huge things that can be debilitating, especially when they work in concert. First, is that I can have several great ideas, big ideas. It can be hard for me to choose. As a small example, I have around 10 blog post topics that I'm really passionate about. Together, they seem overwhelming. In addition, I'm so passionate about them, I'm not sure I could do them justice.

Then the second thing is the paralysis of analysis. I can get so deep into the analysis of pro and cons or trying decide how to do "it" that the process leaves me mentally exhausted, so I have lost the energy and the passion to continue.

2. Jacques Cousteau's birthday was Monday, June 11th...ever been scuba diving? Is that something you'd like to try? What's your favorite 'under the sea' creature?
No, I've never been scuba diving. I don't think that I'd be against it, but I probably won't be seeking it out either. I prefer to see that sort of thing on the Discovery Channel. ;)

3. On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in and around the water? (1=not at all, 10=very) Do you know how to swim and if so how and when did you learn?
10, I love to swim. I took lessons at a summer day-camp sort of thing when I was about seven.

I will always remember my teacher. She worked with us for weeks, very patient and understanding, but right before our test, she was in a biking accident and had scabs down one whole side of her body. What that meant is that she couldn't be in the pool with us while we took our test. The test was swimming down one length of an olympic pool without grabbing the edge. She would stand on the edge and be with us all the way. I remember being so scared, but she promised that if we got into trouble, she would dive right in. I was still scared, but I trusted her. I passed my test and have loved swimming ever since.

As I think about this, I marvel at what a wonderful thing it is to be able to trust so absolutely.

4. What's something you do to motivate yourself to tick an item off your to-do list?
If the benefit of having the item done by itself isn't enough to motivate me, sometimes a reward of doing something frivolous (or fattening) can help. ;)

Johnny Carino's - Best Chocolate Cake Ever!(Good thing they don't have one around here.)
5. What makes a good neighbor? Are you a good neighbor?
Helping someone around you in need, no strings, makes a good neighbor. Also, not reenacting WWE wrestling moves with your friends while screaming at the top of your lungs makes a good neighbor. I have no problem with the second one. (Sometimes I get to wish that the people in the apt below me knew that.) There's tons of room for improvement for the first, but I'm continually trying to improve. I am a sinner.

6. Who loads the dishwasher at your house? Is there a right way and a wrong way?
Since I'm the only one here ... Ummmmm .... Is that why the dishwasher never gets loaded? *Ahem* lol In any case, My Way is the Only Way in these parts. ;)  Though if someone wants to volunteer, I'm sure I could be flexible. :D

7. You know it's summer when_________________________.
You know it's summer when you go to lunch in the middle of the week, and you see kids riding their bikes and playing in their yards. And around here there might even be some adult supervision, and dare I say it, adult interaction! I know you're skeptical, but it's true. People seem to actually play with their kids and grand-kids around here. It's a wonderful thing to see.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I've seen several movies over the last couple of weeks, and I've thoroughly enjoyed them. Warning, there may be more movie reviews on this blog in the near future. (But the season of multiple "must sees" in a short time span is over for a while. I'll just have to bask in the afterglow until the next batch come out. lol)

23 comments:

Love the summertime in your area... I hope things turn out that way this summer in mine :) Adult supervision/interaction, definitely, lol. I need to get out more myself :)

Now that is my kind of reward for motivition-will work for me. Great to know there are places where adults actually play with their children!

Everybody so far seems pretty comfortable around the water. I rated myself a "5", but I was taking into consideration all different kinds of water. I'm totally comfortable in a pool!

I love the description of summer! I absolutely love seeing kids playing outside, catching tadpoles, riding bikes, swimming at the city pool... and obviously when the kids are home, us adults NEED that adult interaction for our own sanity! :-) have a wonderful day! (Oh, and wonderful description of being a good neighbor as well!)

and wait... i just saw you are in Idaho too (your comment about "driving down to SLC" caught my eye on your prior post) - we are stationed in Mountain home and are driving down to SLC this weekend as well! Small world! :-)

We went to Johnny Carino's for dinner a couple of weeks ago...sure wish I'd known about that chocolate cake. YUM!

Good luck for your summer experience. I've got my fingers crossed for you. :)

In lots of ways, this town is like stepping back in time 30-40 years. This is one of my favorite parts of that.

I really thought that survey of different water types you did on your blog was really cool. I probably wouldn't put myself at 10 in every situation, but I'd be pretty up there in many. :)

Have a wonderful trip. I was very lucky to have perfect driving weather. It was so much fun.

Oh April, it's to die for, but with that great bread they serve, I really had to be disciplined if I wanted to be sure to have room for dessert. Though I love their mini's. I think that all restaurants should have mini desserts and appetizers. lol Ooops! Now, I'm starting to sound like a commercial. I don't miss them too much. lol

I'd probably do just about anything for a piece of that cake, too!
Look forward to your movie reviews; we have a hard time figuring out what's worth going to see.

I'm thinkin' we meet at Bismarck's Johnny Carinos in July. My treat!

Now I need to find a Johnny Carinos! I'll look forward to your reviews. We have several on our list right now.

This has been a rather good few months as far as movies goes. I'm eagerly awaiting a weekend visit from my daughter so we can go see another new movie!!

I do believe I've been the victim of "the paralysis of analysis" many a time in my adult, decision-making life!!!! that's the perfect way to describe it! :) have a great day!

It's been a long time since I've so thoroughly enjoyed a summer season. I hope this is a sign for the future.

Sounds like a date! Now, all we have to do is fix the date. :)

Johnny Carinos will be worth your while! :)

Credit where credit's due. I certainly didn't come up with the term, but it can be quite abt.

I am not good in the water. I did learn how to swim, but I don't care for it. Odd for a guy who wanted to be a Marine. I would have been able to do enough to pass swim qual, and maybe I would have developed into a better swimmer.

Not so much now. Being in the water makes me nervous, although I do enjoy boating on occasion.

I imagine that beach landings were not what you were focusing on when thinking of being a Marine. ;)

Post a Comment