Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - , 4 comments

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert

Last night I watched ABC's version of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert. It was the cap on a multi-day celebration of Queen Elizabeth II's 60 years on the throne. Over the midst of the last week or so watching specials about her specifically or the United Kingdom in general, it was impressed upon me what a historic thing this is. Last night's concert was a truly spectacular ending.


My understanding is that this was from earlier in the day. I love the rainbow in the background, and it never did rain on the concert goers. This is a whole stadium that was built in front of Buckingham Palace. I really must say how impressed I was with the pavilion or stage that was erected for the concert. Simply amazing.


I can't continue until I talk about Elton John's jacket. You really can't get the full effect in this picture, but it was all pink and sparkly. I think I'm in love. :)

One of the things that absolutely awed me was the way the palace was used as a backdrop for some of the most amazing visuals throughout the show. This picture also shows the throngs of people the packed the streets. They had video monitors all over the place, so that everyone could see.

Then, there was the woman of the hour. I'm not sure how she felt about all the rock & roll music that filled the evening, and her husband is in the hospital. Duty first. A perfect human being? No, but neither is anyone else.  However, she seems to have gotten it right more than most. 


And the Big Finish with fireworks behind the palace. Fireworks don't always photograph well, but this one was just amazing.  Great show and great celebration.  Even though I wasn't watching it live or anything, I couldn't help but feel like I was a part of it.  I can only imagine how it was for those who were there. It was something special.  It is a part of history.


4 comments:

I saw bits and pieces and I have the whole thing on the DVR for the weekend

you write a good review :)

I didn't see any of the celebrations. Like so many Americans, I'm fascinated by British royalty. I can't really explain it. I'm American enough to prefer our democratically elected president and I love our constitutional government. But there's something about royalty that is intriguing.

Why thank you madame! I saw bits of it again last night.

Yeah, that's the way I feel about it too.

Post a Comment