Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - ,, 19 comments

Hodgepodge

Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond hosts this meme that has some interesting questions each week. Do you want to play?

1. Americans will celebrate Labor Day this coming weekend. Do you know what we're actually celebrating? (without consulting your friends Google or wikipedia, ahem) What's a project you're currently 'laboring' over?
Yes, though I'd be very surprised if anyone under 30 does (or some of the folks in Wisconsin). A project that I'm currently "laboring" over is my contribution to my church's newsletter for Sept. It's going to be an exciting month though I'm going to have to come up with another word for "exciting." I've been using it so much lately that it's beginning to lose its meaning.

P.S. I wrote six articles today, and I don't think that I used the word "exciting" once, except when I was quoting someone else. I did have to use the thesaurus for "kick off" though. ;)

2. Labor Day also signals the unofficial end of summer for most of us...what summer food will you miss the most? If you're in the southern hemisphere feel free to substitute winter for summer.
I've enjoyed more fresh fruit this summer than I recall ever before in my life. I'll miss that.

3. A well known proverb states, 'It's easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission.' Your thoughts?
It may be true, but it's rude and disrespectful to whomever one's dealing with. It means that one knows the guidelines and really doesn't care.  I've known people for whom it is a way of life. They're often people who consider themselves the center of the universe. Not a fan (which is not to say that I've never done it, but I've made a conscious effort to avoid it.)

4. Food critic, film critic, book critic, art critic....which hat would you most like to wear?
Film critic. But only genre's I like. ;)

Speaking of which ... I saw the film Hit and Run today. I was thinking Smokey and the Bandit kind of flick, you know, cool cars, car chases, a few laughs. Hit and Run did not disappoint, and surprisingly I found ... realism and depth. Oscar winner? Probably not, and it's got more "questionable" language than a Bruce Willis film from the 90s, but really a fun ride of a film.



P.S. I heard that Richard Roeper gave it an "F". He can go suck an egg, seriously. ;) Roger Ebert gave it 4 1/2 stars. I never agree with him. What's up with that? lol

5. When you were a kid, who (besides your parents) was your favorite adult?
I think that my Uncle Roger would have to be the winner. I saw him as a real non-conformist, free spirit. And he would send me the coolest stuff. One time he sent me a lamp made out of white corrogated cardboard with a zipper. When you zipped it up it formed a tube, and the cardboard would glow with a
cool texture and shadows. Awesome!

6. The astronaut, Neil Armstrong, passed away last week. He was regarded as a hero by many generations of people all around the world. Do we still have modern day heroes? What makes someone a hero?
We may have them, but the media doesn't let them remain there very long. Before you know it, a reporter discoveres that he/she cheated on a spelling test in the third grade, and the party's over.

7. I never get tired of __________________.
I never get tired of listening to "Close Up the Honky Tonks" by Dwight Yoakam. (I listened to it twice just setting this up. lol Not so hot over all the visuals. Just shut your eyes and listen though it'll mean that you'll miss Dwight in his sparkly white jacket.:D )


8. Insert your own random thought here. 
“The only moment you need to worry about is now. You are exactly where you are supposed to be. You are not running late for anything. You are exactly who you’re supposed to be. You are perfect. Whatever happens today is exactly what is supposed to happen” (from Hit and Run).

That mantra speaks to my life.  See, I told you. That film has depth. ;)

19 comments:

My rule is: If a critic hates it, I will probably love it. We are going to see Hit and Run this weekend. I'm glad to see your positive reviews.

I totally agree with you on #6 - it's never long before some dirty little secrete comes out and a hero is no longer. Fresh fruit - yumm! I will miss it this winter. There are lots of fruits still available at the grocery store in the winter but they just dont taste as good!

Love that quote from Hit and Run :)

Haven't seen that one yet. There are several films coming out I'd like to see. The preveiws for a fim called Words look really good.

I was reading comments on Twitter last night thinking pretty much your exact sentiments (#6)...the minute someone would finish speaking at the Rep convention thousands of people (literally!) immediately began tearing them down. We are in the gutter and I'm not sure we know how to get out. Or maybe its that we lack the will?

The director and his girlfriend (the female lead in the movie) were on NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" a few weeks ago and just listening to the two of them banter back and forth about the movie made us laugh - definitely on our list of movies to see! You are the first person I've heard who has seen it!

That's usually my rule too. Luckily, I didn't see the reviews until after. But now, I feel responsible. lol However, this is not one for the kids. It's rated "R" for some good reasons.

I'll certainly be looking forward to next year when it comes to the fruit!

It's very zen. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it comes from some Buddhist meditation regime.

I don't recall hearing about Words yet. I'll have to check it out. Full disclosure about Hit and Run, I mentioned it above, but it bears repeating. Lots of language in this film. It's rated "R" for more than one reason.

Yes, they're especially good together. They add the realism, but it's definitely not one for the kids. ;)

I want to see that movie. Of course I will see just about anything with Bradley Cooper in it :) I've heard a few Uncle's as answers today. Enjoyed reading all of your answers. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Bradley Cooper played someone very different than I've seen before (but I haven't seen everything he's been in). Have a good time!

I think part of the problem with having a hero these days is that they never get to take a play off. Do you know what I mean? Nobody is perfect, yet we expect the individuals we hold up as heroes to stand up to such intense scrutiny. It's no wonder few can.

"Whatever happens to day is supposed to happen."

Holy crackers, I NEVER would have guessed how some of my days play out...kinda freak-ay to know it was all according to plan! Random, yes. Experimental, sure. Supposed to? Huh. Whooda thunk!

That is so very true. All great people from history had foibles and many of them weren't that nice. However, that doesn't mean that they didn't also do great things. No one can live up to the standard of "perfection." (Then we get into a whole definition thing, and that's another story! lol)

That's what makes it sooooooo freaky! (Of course, that only applies if good things happen. This is more of a combat nerves or a panic attack kind of mantra. lol)

P.S. Can you believe that Blogger wanted to classify your post as "spam"?!? The nerve! lol

I love your random thought of your own thinking :)
I follow that line of thinking as much as I can

loved your admission about the crying baby
if you're ever stuck with one call me; I have a million ways to soothe them

That's great that you have internalized that mind set so much. I still have a long way to go and have to be reminded often. And I'll certainly call on you for baby advice. It seems that all they have to do is look at me, and they start crying. LOL

Post a Comment