Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Springtime Hodgepodge

Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond has provided some Springtime questions for this week's Hodgepodge. Join us and play!

1.  Thursday marks the first day of spring...to celebrate would you rather plant a garden or go for a walk in the woods? Would either of those activities be possible on Thursday where you live?

I would rather walk in the woods. It would be possible on Thursday but not likely for me.

2. When did someone last spring something on you? (or when did you last spring something on someone?)

Answer here is to numerous to mention. Something like 20 minutes ago.

3.  We often think of spring as a time for new beginnings. What's something you'd like to start doing this spring?

I'd like to stop having to fight fires. It might help people quit spring things on me. ;)

4. Where do you like to sit in a movie theatre? When did you last sit there, and what were you watching?

I like to sit front center , not in the very first row, maybe about three rows back. It's combo for a couple reasons. First, it  has to do with getting older and wearing glasses. I see better closer. The second is going to the movie Armageddon years ago. The movie theater was so full that I had to sit near the front. The sides of the screen went beyond my peripheral vision. When the spacecraft was dodging asteroids in space, I actually felt like I was in the ship with them. Luckily, it didn't cause motion sickness, but it is added a level of realism that I have always sound exciting. Sitting that close has helped me feel more engrossed in the movies I've seen ever since I've started doing it. So, unless I'm forced to sit someplace else, I always want to sit towards front in the center.

5. When you meet someone for the very first time, what do you want them to think about you?

That I'm kind and wise ... and beautiful. On a good day, it might be two out of three. Hopefully, I get at least one. ;)

6. March is frozen food month (yes, really!). Besides ice cream (gotta make you think a little) what's your most often purchased frozen food item?

Flash frozen chicken tenders.  They cook up so easily in just a few minutes. :)

7. What's something you avoid?

Confrontation? If I see something really wrong or something that I'm passionate about, I will not hesitate. I might prepare, but I will act. However, for something superficial, something the only affects me, or because I'm bored, no way. I'm not one of those people the gets into a fight just for the sake of it.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Crimea. Oy! I've wanted to post about it for weeks, but everything's so fluid that just as I'm about ready, the whole situation changes. None of the experts have a clue, so why should I?

I do think that the patronizing attitude the West has had about Russia and Putin and a lack of sensitivity to Russian history has a lot to do with the spot we're in. And, Russia is not like North Korea or Iran that can be isolated or forced into submission. (North Korea is willing to let all its people starve to death rather than capitulate, and it took over 30 years to get Iran to come to the negotiating table.) Russia is the biggest country in the world with vast natural resources. They could survive significant isolation for a good long time. That's one thing that Russia's good at, waiting out a siege.

Now we have the tiger by the tail. It's dangerous to allow Russia to get away with the annexation of Crimea. It's dangerous if we try to stop it. Putin can laugh at our sanctions, and he's right. Russia is the only country (except for maybe China) that turn the USA into dust.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment