Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - , 2 comments

Hodgepodge

After an absence from Blogland it's time for the Hodgepodge, hosted by Joyce at From This Side of the Pond. Fancy playing along? Answer a question or two in the comments here. Post all your answers on your own blog. List your post over at Joyce's, and some nice people will visit your blog and comment.

1.  What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to actually doing?
Going to Rock Creek Vista in Montana "just" outside the NE entrance of Yellowstone National Park. Circumstances and illness thwarted all attempts. Not only did area give me the feeling of literally being at the top of the world, when I was descending on the Wyoming side of the mountain made me feel like I was in a cross between fairyland and one of the scenes in Lord of the Rings. I stopped at the Vista passing through a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed a particular scent of pine that I never experienced before. I had hoped that I'd have an opportunity to experience the area more thoroughly this year, but alas no. The bitterness is fading. ;)

2. Share a favorite memory of your own back -to-school days as a child.
All of my elementary years, I loved going to school. I felt on top of the world in an entirely different way than in the previous question. It was before school meant constant stress be it navigating the social scene or the actual studies themselves. In elementary, back to school meant new clothes, seeing old friends, making new ones, and fun. They all kind of blur together. Life was good.

3.  What's one chore or daily task you prefer doing 'old-school' ?
Writing my thoughts on paper. Any time I'm trying to be creative, it just seems easier with a pen in my hand. Informal writing is great on the computer. It's almost as if the conversation is coming out right through my fingers. I don't quite understand why it doesn't work the same way when I'm trying to be creative, but it doesn't. The creativity can be a story, an academic paper, a speech, or a sermon. Creativity takes many different shapes.

4.  Share something you've learned in life through the 'school of hard knocks'.
It's not best to just "be yourself." Or maybe that's just me. ;)

5.  As a child, did you mostly bring or buy your lunch for school? What was your favorite thing to find in your lunchbox?
I guess I mostly bought, but when I first saw this question, I thought about my lunchbox. It was a Sigmund and the Sea Monsters lunchbox. That seems to be a Saturday morning kids' show that never made it out of the 70s. I never hear about it in anyone's reminiscing. lol I remember loving that show, but I don't remember anyone else having that lunchbox. Yet, I don't remember getting any crap about it either.

6. Football season is upon us which has me wondering... how big of a sports fan are you (not just football) ? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being 'I scream at the players through my television screen' and 1 being 'is knitting a sport?' where do you fall in fandom?
Probably a 5 or 6. I have and can get into particular things, but it's not a priority in my life. NASCAR is something I can share with my Step-dad, and so I follow that a bit more than I did in my youth. I watched football with my dad before he passed, so I avoided it for a few years. In more recent seasons, I didn't get into it until almost the playoffs. I'd finally get wrapped up in it, and it would be over. I'm trying to get on the bandwagon a little earlier, so I don't have that problem this year. lol

7. Share a favorite quote you think might inspire students of all ages at the start of a new school year.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
- Albert Einstein

8. Random Thought
I have been so crazily busy with work this summer that I feel entirely cheated out of it. Hence being MIA from Blogland for so long. I'm also tired of moaning about it. Now, that September is here, I guess it's time to suck it up and move on. Better hopes for next year.

2 comments:

OH, #2-so true. I loved school too. Sorry you didn't get your trip to Montana. I just saw a gorgeous Montana photo on a friend's facebook page and told my husband we need to go there : )

It certainly has a wide variety environments.

Post a Comment