Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - ,,, 2 comments

Hodgepodge

It's my time for the Hodgepodge, hosted by Joyce at From This Side of the Pond. I'm a little behind. I drafted most of it several days ago and wanted the satisfaction of posting it. If you wish to play, answer a question or two in the comments here.Then, look for the next set of questions at Joyce's on Tuesday. :)

1. On Thursday we paused to remember a dark day in history-9/11. Did you mark it in some special way?
 I wore a red, white, and blue ribbon pin.

2. Do you ever/still...listen to an actual radio? Watch a videotape (VCR)? Look up a number in a phonebook? Refer to a paper map while traveling? Set an alarm on an alarm clock as opposed to your phone?
 I do most of those things almost everyday. The one that is least likely is looking up a number in the phone book. The internet is so much faster and likely to have some listing. I listen to the radio in the car all the time. I don't even have a DVR. If I want to record something, a VCR is my only option. It still works. If my alarm clock breaks, I might start using my phone instead, but I can certainly see the time better in the dark with my alarm clock. I will say that I gave up my landline many years ago now. I felt very nervous about it at the time. Now, I don't think anything about it, and it has greatly reduced the telemarketing calls.

3.  Is it ever a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?
I don't think it's every a "good" idea, but sometimes it is unavoidable. I try to keep those times to a minimum.

4. What's a dish you haven't eaten all summer, but come September find yourself craving? Have you made it yet this month?
I can't think of a thing. I guess that I should make a greater effort to eat locally in season.

5. What's something you know nothing about?
How long to you have? I guess something that totally escapes me is Pintrest. Despite long hours spent explaining techy stuff to my friends, acquaintances, and colleagues, they have zero patience trying to show me. It seems inconceivable to them that I don't intuitively get it. I remained confused.

6. September is Classical Music Month. Do you like classical music? If so, what's your favorite piece?
I can like it. Not everything. Not exclusively. It may sound cliche, but Beethoven's 5th Symphony is probably my favorite with the Moonlight Sonata right up there, too. I am strangely drawn to Erlkonig by Schubert. It tells a dark story of a father, son, and the spirit that tries to steal him away. It's in German, of course, but this video tells the story along with song. Personally, I find the visuals to be distracting to my enjoyment of the music, but the visuals are quite good.


(But Beetovan's still my favorite. *smile* I am also grateful for this question. It gave me an excuse to listen to some excellent music in an attempt to pick my favorite.) 

7. What's the oldest thing you own?
You mean besides my VCR? ;) Probably a china tea set that I inherited from my grandmother.

Have a great week! :)

2 comments:

Enjoyed reading your answers. The Erlking is very different for sure! Yes I think it is a good idea to go to local Farmer's Market and support the locals.

Debby: Amid much fanfare, I tried going to our local Farmer's Market this summer, and I was not impressed. Mostly wares and very little produce. I was actually looking for local honey to help with allergies. Oh well, we can but try.

Post a Comment