Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - , 7 comments

Going Through Old Memories

As I’m preparing to move, I’m seriously downsizing my horde. We’ve all seen them on T.V., the people who horde so much stuff that they can barely navigate through their house. I won’t claim to be in that position, but I haven’t had any need or use for at least 90% of the stuff that’s been in my closets for the last 10 years.

I made a conscious decision to part with at least 90% of that 90%, with as much as possible being donated to a charity shop. The only problem is that there is a reason that I’ve carted this stuff around with me for the last 20 years. This stuff isn’t just stuff, it’s memories. It’s the dress that I bought to impress the man that I loved. It’s how beautiful I felt in that dress even though I haven’t seen him in over 15 years, and I can never wear it again. Then, there’s another dress that I wore when I was a new dance teacher and the lovely way it felt, as it would swish out as I spun around. (If you haven’t guessed, I’ve been working on a clothes closet.) And don’t let me even get started on the shoes. lol

If only they were just things, but really they’re memories. And more, they represent the people in those memories. How can one cavalierly get rid of people? Parting is such sweet sorrow (Bill Shakespeare).

7 comments:

When I left Vegas I downsized from a two bedroom house to 10 boxes. It wasn't easy, but I came to realize, the memories will still be there, even if the things are gone. And just think what happy memories they could go on and make for someone else!

Ebay made downsizing a lot easier for me, because I didn't give the stuff away, I sold it. As my possessions dwindled, my bank account grew.

Somethings are easier to part with than others. Don't let go of anything firmly attached to your heart, no matter how trifling it may seem.

Wow Cherie...I love the new look first of all. I know it's hard to get rid of things especially when they are from people who we want to remember those memories with. But it needs to be done sometimes...hard as it is...I know hire a cleaning man in chaps and a vest to help ya...it'll make it that much easier. LOL. You are going to DC if I remember? And you are moving why? Gosh I could kick myself in the butt cuz I should know this...forgive oh Queen of the West Texas Sun

Quilly: 10 Boxes! That's amazing. I'm not going that far. Heck, I'll probably have that many boxes of just books. lol

Thom: Thank you again, kind sir, but I can't promise that the decorations will stay like this for any length of time. Yup, going to D.C. to study for my Masters in Theology in 7 1/2 weeks. Eeek! :)

Oh gosh...how am I going to stay up with someone that gets a Masters...now if it was a Mistress different story :)

It is very hard to get rid of things because of the memories. Perhaps you could take photos of some of the really important items.

Congratulations of your Masters studies. Cleaning out your closets leaves more room for newer memories to grow and more things to come into your life.

I know what your going through. Betty and I went through it when we moved from Crystal to Neenah. From the huge house to the small. We gave away and sold stuff I thought we would never part with. Every bit of it filled with memories.
The good news is that without it there to remind you , you forget.

I understand. It's not about being a pack rat, but a memory hoarder. That's why I've been lugging so much stuff around too.

I did a "let go" about 2 years ago. I still have some more work to do though.

Good luck with your project!

Post a Comment