Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday, December 16, 2011 - ,, 3 comments

A Christmas Musical Progression

My friend Travis over at Trav's Thoughts does this fun meme with Five Songs on Friday. It's fun and easy to play. Head over there and see what it's all about.

This week has a twist that Travis will throw in from time to time. It's Musical Progression. The idea is that something from one song must have led you to your next. What that means is that I won't be playing around with the order of the songs after I've picked them to decide in which order they sound best. You'll get to follow the thought process that inspired them in the first place.

Travis has some suggestions for inspiration: 1) Come up with a progression that simply strikes your fancy; 2) Define 2011 with a progression; or 3) Come up with a progression that sets up your expectations for 2012. I'm mostly going with the first choice with a wrinkle. Last week, I featured the ladies performing Christmas and/or Winter songs. This week will feature the men.

Starting off with one of my favorite male singers, Harry Connick Jr. with a song that I just heard last year for the first time, "Santariffic." But I was instantly in love. So jazzy, so sassy!



And so, that led me to another one of my favorite singers, Michael Bublé with "I'll Be Home for Christmas."



One of the suggested videos while I was playing "I'll Be Home..." was a for a Michael Bublé "Christmas" trailer. I clicked on it wondering what it was about, and he started to (badly) sing "Christmas in Killarney" as a joke. Made me wonder if that song was on his new Christmas album, so I started looking for that. Alas, no. While Michael says in the trailer that he was highly influenced by the Bing Crosby album on which that song appears, he does not sing it. I guess that we'll just have to go with the original by The Bingle (which is what my dad liked to call him).



I'm not quite sure what happened after that, but things definitely took a turn. I saw something about the "12 Days of Christmas," and the next thing that I knew, I was at Strange Brew's 12 Days of Christmas!



Once I was onto the silly songs, I couldn't turn back. This one isn't technically by a "male singer," but he is the lead singer with Elmo & Patsy's "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer."



When I was a kid, I bought the whole album, and there were really some cute (and at least I think) original songs. Here's bonus track, "Percy the Puny Poinsettia."



Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

What a nice gift ... two silly songs I have never heard. Love the poinsettia.

I love that your progression went to the silly! I'd never heard that Harry Connick tune either, but I like it. Good stuff for a holiday progression!

Jamie: Yeah, I just love Percy. :)

Travis: You never know where a progression will take you. I wasn't intending silly at all when I started, but there you are. Great fun! :)

Post a Comment