Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 14 comments

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I've been out exploring again ... exploring online that is, and I came across this Wednesday thing that looks kind of fun. Are you game?


1. The NFL playoffs were held this past weekend and this year's Superbowl lineup will feature The New York Giants versus The New England Patriots. How do you define 'patriot'?
There's nothing like staying away from the controversial, and this is nothing like staying away from the controversial.

I would define a "patriot" as someone who does something for the benefit of their country despite great personal risk. That doesn't sound too controversial, does it? However, how does one define "something for the benefit?" Some would say that the private who leaked the classified information to Wiki-leaks to be a patriot. Others would call the person who turned him in to the authorities as a patriot. It really depends on one's perspective.

Could they both be patriots? The founders of the United States are considered patriots here, but by British standards they were traitors. Is it the historians who really make the decision?
2. What's something in your life right now that feels like a 'giant'?
The responsibility I have at the church to inject enthusiasm into the congregation to get it to multiply and grow.
3. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think back to being 18?
That all of the drama caused me to experience a mini-nervous breakdown. No desire to revisit that! lol
4. Coconut-mashed potatoes-vanilla ice cream-mayonnaise...which white food would be the hardest to give up?
The first thing that came to mind is the flavor combination, which was not appetizing. I really don't have an insatiable need of any of those items. I've had months and sometimes years without some of them passing my lips. However, I guess mayonnaise would be the hardest. I prefer savory over about any other flavor combo. Mayo really adds to that.
5. Describe an incident or a day you remember as the coldest you've ever experienced?
Time fogs the memory, and it's been a long time since I had to be outside when it was -25˚ outside. That doesn't even count the windchill. (Though we've had a few nights when it got to -15˚ since I've been in Idaho.)  But as I think about it, anytime when you have to hang out when it's -25˚, it's not pleasant.

If you don't have the right scarf or something else to put in front of your nose and mouth, the water vapor in your lungs will begin to freeze, so it hurts to breathe. Whenever I had to walk anywhere for any length of time, like to school, I would make sure that there was no skin exposed. Then with sunglasses or something to protect my eyes, I would look like the abominable snowman or, at the very least, a wintery mummy. 

Luckily, while I was in the south, I never got rid of my cold weather gear, so I'm all set for whatever Mother Nature throws at me.
6. You're hosting a brunch...what's your favorite dish to prepare and serve?
If we're talking easiest, I would say muffins. They have the bonus of being good too. If it's an informal family brunch, it would be pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, and maybe some fried potatoes. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.
7. How do you combat negative thinking?
I have several methods depending on the cause. 1) Allow myself to feel it fully without guilt. If I'm angry with someone, trying to suppress it or pretend I don't feel it can have dire consequence. More than anything, it results in the feelings resurfacing and continued resentment. If I acknowledge the anger, I can resolve my feelings quicker and move on.

2) Distraction. If I'm stuck in a rut of negative thinking, sometimes distracting myself with a movie or something else fun can break the cycle. It's kind of like a reset button.

3) Writing out my feelings, developing a plan. If the negativity is due to something outside of my control, or is more complicated, writing it out can help to purge my feelings of helplessness. And since, I never completely believe that I am entirely helpless, making a plan to combat the situation give me hope that the circumstances can change.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
We had a little dusting of snow last night. I decided that I can like snow if it doesn't become a road hazard. It can even make the place look pretty. :)

Well, that wasn't too bad, was it? Some interesting questions. They certainly made me think!  Have a great Wednesday!

14 comments:

Those were fun questions. Thanks for sharing. I love those kind of things. :)

I like how you deal with negative feelings. Number 1 made me really think and I called someone I have some unresolved anger to deal with. There was no answer so no resolve but I tried.

Your blog is just lovely!

So far since we moved back to CO we've not gotten colder than -15. That was way too cold for me and thankful I didn't have to get out in it.
My brother lives in Couer de Alene (sp.?)

Wow your 'negative busters' are truly in depth...you took a lot of time to explain your feelings on the subject, and I LIKE YOUR response!! Well done.

Maybe, you can join us next week. :)

All you can do is try. Thanks so much for stopping by!

I think that's the right spelling. lol I haven't been here too long myself. One thing about being back in the north is that the buildings are much better insulated, so I think that I'm more comfortable here than I was in Texas! lol Thanks for stopping by!

Negativity is just so ... unpleasant. lol I'd rather just skip it, and it isn't productive, doesn't solve the problem. Thanks for stopping by!

I like your answer to #7. It's good to acknowledge what's bothering us for a little while before moving on. Thank goodness for blogging, eh? What a great way to vent and get rid of all of the icky stuff!

You said it! There are some things that I just blow off if they're really silly, but if I find it impossible to do that then I do the others. lol Thanks for stopping by!

I liked your answer to #1-made me think! Have a great weekend : )

Thanks for thinking up such great questions! :)

Fun questions--and answers! I can sympathize with the drama surrounding being 18 since I have an 18 year-old daughter who is always dealing with lots of drama. I don't recall that much myself at that age but, like you, I still wouldn't want to go back!

I wouldn't mind a "do over" if I could have the wisdom of the future. lol

Post a Comment