Monday, May 27, 2013

Monday, May 27, 2013 - , 5 comments

Memorial Day

Memorial Day was originally to commemorate those who lost their lives in the Civil War (a.k.a. The War Between the States or The Recent Unpleasantness depending on where you live). However, in my family, it was a day to visit all the relatives that had gone on and spruce up their graves.

This is my dad's marker at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
I'm too far away to visit it today, but I always keep this picture near me. I don't look at it often, but for some strange reason it comforts me to know that it's there. Here's to the man who gave me my first example of what it means to be a good person. Do what you say you're going to do. Stand up for people being abused around you. Empower people, so they can stand up for themselves.

It's funny. When I was making the arrangements for my father, even as I asked for advice, people told me that I could do whatever I wanted to do. Then, they second guessed every one of my decisions. Even when it came to this headstone, they thought that it was too simplistic. Even now, I think it's perfect. Military man was his primary identity, and I can't think of a better dad. Even though I was his only child, he was a father to just about everyone he encountered. Calm and patient. Always teaching. Always dependable.


So here's to you Dad, to you and all your compatriots on Memorial Day. May your efforts and sacrifices never be forgotten.

5 comments:

Post a Comment