Saturday, May 18, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

I know that I said in my previous post that Star Trek Into Darkness was opening on May 17th, but I got to see it on Thursday, the 16th! ... And I didn't even go to a midnight showing. In fact, they had a midnight showing Wed/Thurs. It's like Christmas coming a day early, and what a Christmas present it was.





I'll tell you one thing. As a self avowed Trekkie ... though I don't own any costuming, action figures, or been to a Star Trek convention ... I have to give this film 5 out of 5 stars. And, here is your "Spoiler Alert." If you haven't seen the movie yet, continue at your own risk.

I have to say again how much I appreciate the way that JJ Abrams handled the reboot of this beloved series. By introducing an alternate time-stream, it allows these characters to be put in storylines without having to take their original history into account. The only requirement is that you must have the characters.

This film features Khan, a genetically engineered human with a "superior intellect" and strength created 300 years before but cryogenically frozen in suspended animation when he got too dangerous. The character of Khan Noonien Singh, as originally portrayed by the magnificent Ricardo Montalbán, still exists in the new time-stream, so it is not surprising that he's causing trouble in it.

Why do I love this film? I've seen it twice now, and I still don't know how to describe it more than to say that I love the story, the character interaction, and the look and the feel. Even when bad things were happening, I had a smile on my face because I loved how they took the characters and twisted the story to make it interesting and unique. I was on the edge of my seat because I didn't know which way it would go. I'd be sure that they'd turn right, and they'd go left.

I love the dialogue. I love the comedy moments. I love that despite that they're 200-300 years in the future, the people still seem so real. I love the music of the soundtrack. At the end, they do the full blown original tv Star Trek theme song, but in the beginning they start with music that is reminiscent of The Next Generation but completely its own. It draws you in with the first few notes like some of the greats like John Williams and Howard Shore. (Just as a point of information the Star Trek score was composed by Michael Giacchino.)

Does that make any sense? That's not analysis. That's gushing. I apologize, but it seems that I can't analyze it yet. I can only experience it. Will you like it? I don't know. Are you a Trekkie that can accept change to the original premise? Do you like Sci-fi? Action/Adventure? Do you like to see the good guys win? (I warned you about spoilers, so no complaining. Besides, you don't know how the good guys win, AND for parts of the movie you don't know who all the good guys are.) Which brings me to the next question. Do you like JJ Abrams style of storytelling? If the answer all those questions are "yes" (or at least "maybe") then I think that you'll like it.

Be prepared for one other thing that isn't uncommon in the Star Trek tradition. There is some political and social commentary included. Some of it has to do with news from just this week. The nature of the commentary boarders on "preachy" to me. I normally abhor that in a film, but there is one exception. If I can be completely entertained while that is happening, it's okay with me. This movie makes the grade. You also may get so caught up in the action that you won't detect it.

Bottom line. Exceptional. I'm going to have to exert some major will power to keep myself from going to see it again before it comes out on DVD. Will I succeed? Do I want to?

Yup. Gotta give this one a 5 out of 5. :)

5 comments:

I stopped at your spoiler alert, so thanks for that. We were going to see it this past weekend, but I got really sick so we didn't.

Now we're making date night for this Saturday!

Travis: Hope you're feeling better! I've completely lost my voice. When I try to talk, it comes out as one long *screeeeeeech*. lol Luckily, it doesn't affect computer communication. :) I also hope that what you did read doesn't get your expectations too high. I've been thwarted by movies that way before. Low expectations = Maximum enjoyment. ;)

I saw it for the 4th time, in case anyone's counting. lol My only excuse is that someone who had only seen it once wanted some company. I'm going to try to hold out now until the DVD comes out.

We saw it this past weekend. We saw it early enough Sunday evening that we could see it again that night if we chose. We chose not to, mainly because we wanted to discuss it. I think we'll see it again this weekend.

We really enjoyed the film, for many of the reasons you name. We had an extremely uncomfortable few moments at the climax, and I'm sure you can figure out which part I refer to. I still have a hard time with anything that recalls the events of 9/11, and it doesn't get much closer to those events than what was portrayed at the end of the film. I don't know that I'll ever be able to separate that reality from a fictional portrayal.

I would have preferred some other effect, but that's really my only criticism of the film. In the first film of the reboot and in this one, I appreciate the way Mr Abrams and the actors have kept the essence of the original characters while still making them fresh, interesting, and relevant to the time. You're right...you have to have the characters and this reboot does.

My opinion echoes yours...the film is exceptional.

Travis: I've been wondering whether you had a chance to see it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You know. I never made the 9/11 connection, but now that you mention it, I see it. It's interesting or should I say fascinating how our minds connect things in different ways. The thing that came back to me was genetic manipulation and the news story of human cloning. Then there's the drone military strategy or the idea that we have to get them before they get us. And yet, still a good story. I'm already anticipating the next one. But, we have to wait for a new Star Wars first. Will I be able to stand it? :)

Post a Comment