Thursday, October 17, 2013

Congratulations Congress

I congratulate the U.S. Congress for ending the government shutdown and extending the debt limit Wednesday. I say that without any sarcasm. They could have let pride push all of us over the edge.  They decided as a body  not to do that.  For that I am very thankful.

What did pushing it that far accomplish?  Effectively nothing.  Senator John McCain referred to the episode as a "fool's errand," and I have to agree.  However, what would have been worse would have been to allow this episode to continue.

Did they kick the can down the road?  Yes, but better than letting it explode in our face.  I have the smallest sliver of hope that perhaps the Congress will have been singed enough from this fiasco to work to prevent it at least in the immediate future.

If not, I may have to consider supporting Jesse Ventura for president.  And, the funny thing is, I don't know whether I'm kidding.

4 comments:

I knew all along Congress would wait til hours before the deadline. So much game playing! And, yes, in a few months it will all happen again.

Marla: After they allowed the govn't shutdown, then allowed it to go on for so long, I abandoned any presumption of rational decision making ability on their part.

I wish I could join you in thanking and congratulating these bozos for anything. But doing that makes me feel like I'm giving them a pass on making the mess in the first place.

I know there are a few...a very few...members of Congress who are there to govern responsibly. There just aren't enough to tell the rest of them to sit down, shut up, and get to work.

Travis: No mistake. I think they're a bunch of asshats, but I'm glad they ended this episode of insanity.

Post a Comment