Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 - , 11 comments

Hodgepodge

Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond hosts this meme that has some interesting questions each week. Do you want to play?


 1. How often do you check the weather?
Once or twice a day, depending on whether the weather calm or extreme (heat, storms, cold, etc.)

2. Since this is volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend it only seems right to post something related here.

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


Agree or Disagree. Why?


I watched the A&E mini-series of this a few weeks ago (Colin Firth edition), and I think that only the last clause was included. At the time, I thought that the idea was ridiculous. (One of the reasons that this "sound bite" world we live in is preposterous.) However, she does make some excellent points in that paragraph.  (And yes, I did read the book decades ago. Really more of a Bronte girl.)

People, who are perfectly matched on paper, known each other for long periods of time before marriage, and so on, get divorced every day. Arranged marriages in other parts of the world succeed, even among the well educated. Yet, even though I have never been married, I still think that it's wise to know the character and personality of the person one is going to marry. Life is change, but it's easier to adapt to changes if you know the current conditions.

3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?
I have been a certified ballroom dance teacher for the last 20 years (on and off). Loved ballet as a child. (Parents didn't have the where-with-all to continue ballet lessons after they split-up.) In other words, yes & yes. :)

4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or home made peach ice cream? Pick one.
Home made peach ice cream (though I've never had either, but I do love peaches). My choice may have something to do with the weather. Ask me again in December. ;)

5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?
That really depends on the type of unfairness. Someone cuts me off in traffic? Learn to make the best of it. Sexual harassment, robbery, assault, racism? No way. Paraphrasing one of my favorite theologians N.T. Wright, "turn the other cheek" does not mean, "be a doormat for Jesus." It's more about making your attacker, oppressor see you as a human being, rather than cowering away.

6. The top five all time summer movie blockbusters (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are-Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Which one's your favorite?
That's a hard one because I do dearly love several of these films, but my number one choice has to be Star Wars.

7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?
Meh, it doesn't blow my skirt up. I don't know. The moon seems so ... boring. I suppose the space flight itself regardless of destination would be über cool. But actually, I think I'd rather get another chance to go to London. I just watched a Globe Trekker visit to London, and periodically the words, "I want to go baaaaack!" Would spontaneously erupt from my lips.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I just found out that an updated Sim City is scheduled to come out next February. I think an old obsession/addiction might be revived.

11 comments:

How fun that you are a ballroom dance instructor! I bet you get to see lots of happy people.

I had almost kinda forgotten you're a dancer!
you haven't mentioned it in a long time

I had a hard time choosing between Raiders and ET but I think I have to go with ET

Oh yes, it's great fun! :)

Yeah, my day-to-day is so wrapped up with the other that I actually hardly think of it ... except this spring season of Dancing with the Stars. :P :D

A real dancer in the Hodgepodge! Thats so cool!

Certified Ballroom Dancer...that is so cool! I've never had homemade peace ice cream but it sounds heavenly. I never played Sim City but I think my daughter did. Enjoy. So nice to meet you and thanks for stopping over.

It's one of the joys of my life. :)

Yeah, I'll have to mention the peach to my friends with an ice cream maker. (I almost typed "incredible maker," but come to think of it, ice cream's pretty incredible no matter what. lol)

I have always always always wanted to be able to ball room dance. sandie

It's a wonderful thing, and the basics aren't hard to learn. Go for it!

Star Wars all the way.

Pam and I took ballroom lessons for a couple of years after we met. We each knew how to Waltz, but it was fun to relearn together. We also learned Samba and Cha Cha Cha. We loved it, but had to stop when my knees finally couldn't take it anymore.

Post a Comment