Saturday, December 3, 2011

Saturday, December 03, 2011 - , 6 comments

The Muppets

I went to see the new Muppet movie last night, and I received an unsuspected surprise. After the "coming attractions," we had an honest to goodness cartoon before the movie! It was a Toy Story mini-adventure! Awesome!

Now, that I think about it. It seems that I recall a cartoon before another Disney children's movie, where they put on a Mickey Mouse short. It had to have been over two years ago because I'm sure I was in West Texas when I saw it.  But, if I have to say, I love it when they do that ... Instead of having commercials in addition to the coming attractions. (The movie house may have had those too, but I got there a few minutes late.)

But on with the show ....
I'm a child of the 70s & 80s, so I was brought up with the Muppets. First, it was on Sesame Street, where Kermit got his "big break." Then, it was The Muppet Show, itself, where I was introduced to all of these fabulous characters.  The Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite of all the Christmas Carol movies.  In fact, it's in my DVD player right now.

The point is that I'm a true fan. I might not be as big a fan as Jason Segel, who is reported to have muppets/puppets all over his home. However, I do have a Kermit stuffed animal that I received at least ... ummm ... well ... a lot of years ago, anyway.  That stuffed animal has lived in almost as many states as I have, and let me tell you, that's saying something.

I'm really glad that Jason Segel had the power and drive to get this movie made. I really only have one criticism. It took too long to get to major muppet scenes. I didn't time it, but it felt like the first half of the movie was mainly people ... you know ... flesh and blood humans. Too many song and dance numbers.  What did they think they were, a 50's style musical? They were definitely spoofing that, but The Muppet Show was never about that.

Once they got around to having scenes with mostly muppet characters, I really loved it. The old energy came back. What's really wonderful is that the second half of the picture was great! There were also some great cameos. Bottom line. I left the theater bouncing along, happy in my thoughts.

I really hope this film does well. I would love to see me some more Muppet adventures on a regular basis!

6 comments:

Hope and I were watching a Muppet Movie on TV the other night
she was very concerned that Big Bird find his friends in time
her connection to the chracters is wonderful

glad you enjoyed it
Jason is a bit like a giant Muppet himself :)

Dianne: It's true. Jason is a bit like a giant Muppet. He even sang a song about it. LOL

I have always loved The Muppets. I grew up on them, same as you.

And I remember cartoons before the feature at movie houses too!

Travis: Well, I don't exactly remember cartoons before the feature, except as an occasional aberration. But, I remember it being talked about nostalgically by my relatives. Also, in explanation that Bugs Bunny was not originally written specifically for kids. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the heck out it, whenever it happened. :)

It took him 4 years to get it done, but it paid off.

I really enjoyed being able to watch a movie with my kids and parents where we could all enjoy ourselves.

I do understand, though, why Frank Oz refuses to comment and why some of the main puppeteers came close to walking off: it's not a Muppet movie of old; it's an attempt to revitalize and update a genre in danger of becoming a relic. You have to be OK with that to like the Muppets of 2011.

Joy: Wow! I had no idea that there was so much "drama" on the set. Very interesting, indeed.

Post a Comment