Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - , 18 comments

Hodgepodge

Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond hosts this meme that has some interesting questions each week. Do you want to play?

1. Summer officially rolls in with the Hodgepodge this week, for those of us in the Northern hemisphere anyway. What song says summer 2012 to you?
I don't know about 2012, but anything from American Graffiti says summer to me! :)


2. What's your favorite quintessential summer food?
Grilled Bratwurst just the tiniest bit burnt.


3. I've spent a lot of time traipsing up and down the NJ Turnpike in recent weeks. Did you know the rest areas on the turnpike are named after people who lived or worked in NJ? Clara Barton, Walt Whitman, James Fenimore Cooper, Molly Pitcher, Joyce Kilmer, Thomas Edison, and Gover Clevland just to name a few. Of those I listed, who would you most like to have known and why?
I didn't know that the rest areas on the NJ Turnpike were named after notable people related to NJ, but it sounds like a good idea. Of those mentioned, I guess that I'd most like to have known Thomas Edison. In addition to being a brilliant inventor, he also seemed to have a practical mind as far as the business applications of his inventions.


4. At what age did you move out of your parent's house and what prompted the move?
My parents split up when I was around 10, and my dad moved to another state after he retired from the Army about a year later. So, when I went to college (for the first time), I decided to go near where he was and stayed with him on and off until I was about 23. By that time, I'd made up enough for lost time and really needed my own space.


5. What's more satisfying to you-saving time or saving money?
I'm not sure I understand the question. lol  If we're talking about like gadget-wise, needing the newest fastest thing on the market vs. waiting a year or two when the price comes down, saving money is more satisfying. Yet, I aslo like to be efficient with my time. Is there supposed to be a relationship here? Because really, I like to do both. (See, I told you I didn't understand the question. lol)

6. Name something you think brings out the good in people.
A disaster. People seem to put their feuding and disagreements aside to help. You see it with earthquakes and tornados all the time.

7. This last question comes to you courtesy of Kathy over at Reflections...will you be taking a vacation or a staycation this summer? If so where will you go? If a staycation is on the calendar have you made any special plans to fill the time?
I'm going to Minnesota for a family reunion. I'm stoping to see Yellowstone and friends along the way. (In chronological order, not order of importance, for any of those friends who may be reading this. lol)

8. Insert your own random thought here.
The movie reviews have begun. Click on the titles to see what I have so far. Still a couple more to go. :)  Snow White and the Huntsman, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and Madagascar 3. Still to come: Men in Black 3 and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

18 comments:

Movie reviews alright! I love to read what people think about different movies :)

Looking forward to the movie reviews. We really like Marigold.

I'd love to see Yellowstone.. I'm such a 'tree' kinda gal anyways! :)

Gotta check out your reviews. I really enjoyed Snow White

Yellowstone is on my must see list-have a great time! We saw the Marigold Hotel last weekend. Hubs had just landed that morning from Delhi and we love the British cast so we both really enjoyed the movie.

We went to Yellowstone a couple of years ago after we moved to Idaho - it is absolutely amazing! We loved the Tetons too, which are right on the way there! (And actually, the Tetons were more family friendly with little kids... but still, Yellowstone is unlike anything else we have ever seen!) Enjoy our trip!

I kind of envy your trip to see Y'stone and friends along the route. I am SO into road trips and have not seen anything west of Colorado except California, and well, when you can lodge with friends, oh happiness! Enjoy.

I can't remember a summer season when I've been even tempted to see so many films.

I found it to be so interesting.

When I found out that there were going to be 2 Snow White adaptations, I was intrigued. However, I was really only drawn to Snow White and the Huntsman.

Yellowstone actually is pretty close to me where I live now. It would be a shame to miss it when it's so easy, but that also makes it tempting to put off. "I can go there anytime..."

I'm really looking forward to it. :)

Yellowstone is the stinkiest nat'l park, hands down. Jellystone, on the other hand, is the most pic-in-ic basketiest!

I never really thought that I'd get there, as it's so remote, but then I moved practically next door.

molly pitcher also has a ton of streets and an inn
I think Trump is looking to build an exit he can name for himself

you made me laugh with your response to saving time/money

it is sooooooooooooo hot today

Maybe Trump can come and check it out one day before it's done and take a long drive off a short off-ramp. ;P

Enjoy your vacation! It sounds wonderful!

Post a Comment